VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fright Fest 2011

Railer

It all boils down to what is popular. DMP is by far THE most popular Fright Fest attraction based on the size of the crowds each night. For many, it has become a Halloween tradition. There would probably be a huge outcry if the show was removed or vastly altered.

Now, as far as Hypnosteria... I don't have a clue as to why that thing is still around!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats nothing, Universal changes things every year. GADV has done some changes to FF in recent years and they all stink. If they did replace DMP it would probably be with something super lame and then FF would be a total joke. I know alot of people like change but I don't because change is almost always for the worst.

Universal is in a whole different league than everyone else and isn't fair to compare really.Universal has it's own team called A&D (Art & Design) plan out all the Holiday events.Grinchmas,Thanksgiving,Macy's and by far their biggest event which is planned years in advance each year has a HUGE budget that Six flags will never see honestly.HHNs budget is probably what all of next year's additions cost combined.

But DMP is basically Six Flags staple of a show like HHN does with Bill & Ted's,both have a big following and can't wait to see it every year.I don't really get it though,DMP is the same every year.Change isn't always bad,but as the years go on I can see FF improving as they get more budget and really study other park's Haunt events.But until then I will never spend $7 for those "trails"

First of all, I thought that this year's FF was very last minute and not planned out the way most guests would like it. When I was working I overheard some guests saying,"this year's FF really sucks." If SF brought more attention to being prepared (actually including Bone Butcher's T.)and a greater emphasis on the new Terror Trail, then the guests would have had a greater FF experience like in past years. On the DMP issue, I think the show should stay. I personally think the show makes the FF experience that much greater.

The lack of planning is nothing new; when I worked there, people were sketching the trails on napkins in September...

The upgrade of the stage will make the show so much better!

An upgrade isn't needed; I've assembled the existing stage, and it can go anywhere in the park. It's a set of standard risers... the "budget" excuse for not moving the show is just a red herring. If FF is indeed getting more money allocated next year, it should go to payroll and props...

Thats nothing, Universal changes things every year. GADV has done some changes to FF in recent years and they all stink. If they did replace DMP it would probably be with something super lame and then FF would be a total joke. I know alot of people like change but I don't because change is almost always for the worst.

Frankly, the changes the park needs are at the staff level, starting with decision-makers in the entertainment department...

Universal is in a whole different league than everyone else and isn't fair to compare really.Universal has it's own team called A&D (Art & Design) plan out all the Holiday events.Grinchmas,Thanksgiving,Macy's and by far their biggest event which is planned years in advance each year has a HUGE budget that Six flags will never see honestly.HHNs budget is probably what all of next year's additions cost combined.

I couldn't agree more; SF is in the same league as CF and BGW, not Universal...

I don't really get it though, DMP is the same every year.Change isn't always bad, but as the years go on I can see FF improving as they get more budget and really study other park's Haunt events.But until then I will never spend $7 for those "trails"

This is the 20th season for FF - how many more years do they need before they recognize the competition?

The lack of planning is nothing new; when I worked there, people were sketching the trails on napkins in September...

An upgrade isn't needed; I've assembled the existing stage, and it can go anywhere in the park. It's a set of standard risers... the "budget" excuse for not moving the show is just a red herring. If FF is indeed getting more money allocated next year, it should go to payroll and props...

1) Now that I work here that seems just about right.

2) Oh you created the stage? Thats really cool! Oh lol the "budget" excuse. Its fine with me that the show stays at the Ferris Wheel. I highly agree with you on the payrolls and props. The costumes have been similar each year with SF jumbling up the costumes on different people.

I hope they keep DMP since it is the only good thing about FF left. It should be moved to a proper stage and upgraded some. Ghoulmaster's show is bad, the terror trails aren't worth the upcharge, the park barely decorates for Halloween anymore, GADV's FF is pretty much a joke compared to other parks Halloween events.

If you want to go to a bad Halloween event go to Hershey. I never understood why they tell people they are having a Halloween event and never do anything. If you are comparing GA to Hershey, Great Adventure is the best ever, but if you compare it to parks like Dorney, BG, or Kings Dominion, then it can be considered a joke.

When I did Hershey's Halloween event at least they had a haunted train ride that was free instead of upcharge terror trails that are not worth the upcharge. Still they don't pretend to have the best Halloween event like GADV does.

This is the 20th season for FF - how many more years do they need before they recognize the competition?

For the first 10 there really wasn't any local competition with FF. GADV used to do a good job with FF in the 90s, unlike the late 2000s. Go look at some of the old 90s FF photos in the spotlight and you will see how much better the park used to decorate in the 90s. They used to have monsters on rooftops, spiders and bats hanging everywhere, etc. Back then they had the hayride into the unknown, Thiller show that was indoors, Dino Island/ Elvira, and Bad Bob. In 1999 they did a complete overhaul of FF such as replacing Thriller with DMP, and putting Hypnosteria in the Showcase theater and replacing the blood fountain with a DJ and the final freakout show. In 99 they also moved the cemetery from the lakefront to the main entrance and added Brutal Planet. The one bad thing about the 99 overhaul was that the park only decorated a few areas instead of the whole park like before. Then in the mid 2000s they changed FF some more into it's current bare bones shape. Moved the cemetery back to the lake front and did away with Brutal Planet and Final Freakout. Then Sharipo took over and really cut back FF, he cut out the Hayride and gutted the sim theater so no more Elvira. Then started the upcharge trails to grab more money. He also really cut back on props and decorations which is why FF is in such a sorry state now. The park has just become complacent with it.

I couldn't agree more; SF is in the same league as CF and Busch, not Universal...

That is an insult to CF and BG, SF is nowhere near their league with Halloween events which is the problem! We are talking about Halloween events then you pull an underhanded argument tatic of changing the subject. Up Up and Away was talkinng about how BG changes everything every two to three years and I stated Universal changes everything every year. Also you really can't compare SF and CF to BG since BG is one level above both of them.

But DMP is basically Six Flags staple of a show like HHN does with Bill & Ted's,both have a big following and can't wait to see it every year.I don't really get it though,DMP is the same every year.

No it is not the same every year. They have changed out some of the song numbers over the years. Back in 2009 for their 10th year they had a special longer show that included all past and current song numbers.

Edited by The Master

That is an insult to CF and BG, SF is nowhere near their league with Halloween events which is the problem!

The implication was that they have the same potential and means, not that they actually use it.

No it is not the same every year. They have changed out some of the song numbers over the years. Back in 2009 for their 10th year they had a special longer show that included all past and current song numbers.

...and yet the show feels the same every year.

As I said BG is really a step above SF and CF so that is not a real fair comparison. But I think everyone can agree that SF could do a much better job with FF than they currently do. They used to do a great FF back in the 90s. Looking around online it seems that even the other SF parks have much better FF than GADV does. GADV's management is just too complacent and skin flint.

Also it looks like final Saturday might be a wash out with a possible Nor-easter. With the cold temps, heavy rain and even maybe some unusually early sleet/wet snow mix, I expect the park will either not open or close down early this Sat. The bad weather will probably make Friday and Sunday even more crowded since those two days will be dry and a little warmer.

What they really need to do is put someone at corporate in charge of Fright Fest and work with a design team to create Fright Fest attractions and shows that could be used in any Six Flags park. While Universal is in a different league and so is Busch, CF is not and they seem to develop these attractions for all their parks and can implement them successfully coast to coast. I would be they have a corporate team that just works on their special events which is why they are slicker and better produced. There is economy in scale and creating shows and attractions for multiple parks is the way to keep innovating and keep costs in line. Instead, SF leaves most of it to the individual parks which is only as good as the people at those parks. And the problem is each park uses people who are already doing their full time jobs and asking them to do extra for Fright Fest, so I don't blame them for the shortcomings. Creating an event like Fright Fest is something that requires the full time dedication of at least one person or a team but SF doesn't see the value in that (hence their record earnings) so they won't spend the money to upgrade and improve, instead just doing the same thing year after year. One thing I have to give the old Premier era management was they saw the value in investing in the event since it accounts for so much of the company's revenue.

Looks like GADV is closed today due to the freak winter nor'easter, I would not be surprised if Sunday is cancelled too since I don't see GADV removing 2-4 in of snow for just one day.

Edited by The Master

Dorney is not going to open today since they got hammered by the freak nor'easter. Hershey says they will open at 2PM today but their coasters will not be running. I suspect GADV may have limited operations as well. Anyone who still wants to go better call the park to make sure they will be open.

Edited by The Master

I called before going and they said they would be open until 10 and the coasters were running. I thought the coasters may not be running since I had thought it had to be 40 or higher to run the B&M coasters but that apparently isn't the case since everything was running even in the 30's.

It seems like they try to update the website when there is a change to the hours now too, unlike years ago. I still remember I think in 2008 there was a Saturday that it was raining all day and stopped around 5:00. Someone said the park had closed at 4:00 yet a few hours later the site still said they were open regular hours. I think it was the day after Family Fall Fun Night 2008 where they still closed at 7:30 rather than 10:00 even when people called and were told the park was going to be open until 10:00.

Edited by Yoshi

Knowing GADV, they probably did run the coasters in temps they should not have been running at. I don't know about NJ law, but in PA the law is the parks must follow the ride manufacturers recommendations. So if B&M says not to run their coasters below 40, then it's the law for Dorney and Hershey to never run B&M coasters below 40 deg. It's why Hershey does not allow single riders on their Ferris Wheel because the manufacturer for it says not too and in PA, Hershey has no choice. I don't know if NJ has a similar law or not.

Edited by The Master

What they really need to do is put someone at corporate in charge of Fright Fest and work with a design team to create Fright Fest attractions and shows that could be used in any Six Flags park. While Universal is in a different league and so is Busch, CF is not and they seem to develop these attractions for all their parks and can implement them successfully coast to coast. I would be they have a corporate team that just works on their special events which is why they are slicker and better produced. There is economy in scale and creating shows and attractions for multiple parks is the way to keep innovating and keep costs in line. Instead, SF leaves most of it to the individual parks which is only as good as the people at those parks. And the problem is each park uses people who are already doing their full time jobs and asking them to do extra for Fright Fest, so I don't blame them for the shortcomings. Creating an event like Fright Fest is something that requires the full time dedication of at least one person or a team but SF doesn't see the value in that (hence their record earnings) so they won't spend the money to upgrade and improve, instead just doing the same thing year after year. One thing I have to give the old Premier era management was they saw the value in investing in the event since it accounts for so much of the company's revenue.

The issue with that is that they require set props that every park must buy to put on that attraction. But the way it is now, the people at each park can recycle whatever old props they have into attractions, which obviously saves a lot of cash. There is a lot of ingenuity at the park level, and they do occasionally share ideas that originated at the park level. I'm not sure if these were park- or corporate-originated, but DMP and Monster Mash Bash are just a couple of the shows that are at FF in nearly all SF parks under some name or another these days. That said, SF has historically been awful at leveraging their entertainment talent (why haven't we seen even one SFFT show remounted at another park?) so it will probably go along like this for a while.

And on another note, I agree that FF could be better with some more funding, but what is the park's incentive to do that? Look how busy they are with today's "bare bones" entertainment. It's insane. If they made the attraction any better they'd be pleasing the maybe 2% of guests who notice, but wasting money on the rest, who would be coming anyway, in droves.

After several years without any new offerings the park did add Ghoulmaaster's Ghost show for 2010, and the Haunted Wagon Trails and Mortuary Manor this year. Once again, I think an overhaul of their basic decorations including new props on the walkways and midways would spice up Fright Fest.